2/01/2008

Coulter: "Hillary Before McCain" (NO, SERIOUSLY!)

Ann Coulter: McCain nomination would make me a 'Hillary girl'
It seems as though the latest game among some conservative pundits is to play "can you top this" in seeing how far they can go to proclaim their distaste for Senator John McCain.

Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh drew media attention to himself last week when he suggested he might not support McCain if he became the Republican nominee. Now Ann Coulter has upped the ante, telling Fox News host Sean Hannity that if John McCain is the Republican nominee, she's supporting Hillary Clinton.

"If he's our candidate, then Hillary's going to be our girl," Coulter asserted. "Because she's more conservative than he is. I think she would be stronger on the war on terrorism. ... I absolutely believe that. ... I will campaign for her if it's McCain."
You bet I was flabbergasted when I heard this. It's a strange sort of day when you've got Ann Coulter saying she'd support a Clinton before a particular Republican.

Of course, when my initial shock wore off, I figured it out pretty quickly - it's backlash, though I'm not sure in which way. There are two schools of thought on this: She's willing to support Hillary because the far right's favored candidate, Rudy Giuliani, has dropped out and thus will have no chance to enact the destructive policies he forced on NYC on the nation; She's doing it solely to try and sabotage Hillary.

I'm leaning towards the latter, mostly because I know beyond all doubt that the rabid Hillary-haters and the raving Paul Cultists would jump on this as a reason to hate her all the more, screaming that it proves she's not liberal and whatnot.