1/26/2009

Big Switch May Be Pushed Back

From MSNBC.com: Senate passes bill to delay digital TV switch
The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12.

The vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.
Wait, seriously, people aren't ready YET? They've been telling us about this for years already, and over the past year I haven't been able to get away from the constant nagging reminders to go buy a converter box. I even made sure to get the coupon, just so I could be sure that the crappy, cheap 20" TV next to me can still pick something up (and considering I'm living in the city, it's not something I've had to worry much about outside of the switch.)

Yes, I know this is part of the new administration and all, but even I'm not so sure about this. Honestly, people have had a lot of time to get ready, and a few more months probably isn't going to change that. Let's just get it done sometime soon so we'll stop having to hear about it.