1/16/2009

Change you absolutely CAN believe in.

From Faux News (Stop booing): Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy
WASHINGTON: President-elect Barack Obama will allow gays to serve openly in the military by overturning the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy that marred President Clinton's first days in office, according to incoming White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.
I... I'm honestly at a loss. I'm not exactly military material myself, but many in my family have served - and to be honest, if I felt the cause was just, and I was fit, I would gladly serve.

Until this I could not however, because of my sexual orientation, and the fact I refuse to lie about it. There was never a good excuse to keeping gays out of the military, many other armed forces do not have such rules, and we haven't seen those fall apart. Other soldiers being 'uncomfortable' has never been a good excuse, as it's simply giving weight to an argument born out of fear and intolerance.

Furthermore, it's one of the key issues that has always made me feel less than human. Male or female, both can serve in the military in this day and age, but the homosexual - be they male or female - we are apparently something less. Or were.

I said it when the Warren issue came out, and I'll say it here, having an intolerant preacher give a prayer isn't IMPORTANT, and it certainly isn't condemning of the President-Elect. His actions are what will show us the measure of his character.

This action speaks of that character. Thank you, President-Elect Obama, thank you for making me feel human once more.